When teams struggle, the | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Nov 7
TORONTO -- After reliever Darren Oliver came out of his final game in the majors, Mark DeRosa sought him out on the Blue Jays bench. Marquis Maze College Jersey . "I said How do you feel?" said the 38-year-old DeRosa. "He said I feel great. And I said Thats how it should be. You should be able to walk away on your own terms. "So Im happy for him." Oliver retired on a high note Sunday, striking out two Tampa Bay Rays in the swansong to his 20-year major-league career. The 42-year-old left-hander came on to a standing ovation to open the seventh against the meat of the Rays order, with Toronto trailing 7-3. He struck out Wil Myers and Evan Longoria while inducing James Loney to fly out. He threw 11 pitches, eight for strikes, before giving way to Steve Delabar for the eighth inning in a game Toronto lost 7-6 after a comeback fell just short in the final game of the Jays season. "It was great, a great run," Oliver said of his career. "But eventually every good thing must come to an end, unfortunately. Mine just happened to end at 42, I guess. But thats all right. It was great." The six-foot-three 250-pounder leaves the game with a 118-98 record in 766 games and 1,915.2 innings pitched. He struck out 1,259 and walked 720 in a career that included three stints in Texas as well as stops in St. Louis, Boston, Colorado, the Angeles and Mets. "He had some kind of career," said Jays manager John Gibbons. "Twenty years -- very few guys get to do that. "To play a very, very small part and be able to manage him is a pretty neat thing. He was one of the better pitchers in the game for a long time. Longevity in this business is hard to come by but to do it for that long and be that effective until the very end, that speaks volumes." Added DeRosa: "I look more at not only what hes been able to accomplish but the way hes gone about it. With class and grace. Hes handled himself like a pro from start to finish." Oliver, the son of former major league infielder Bob Oliver, returned this season after the Jays exercised a US$3-million option for 2013 During spring training, he said good health, good teams and good coaches helped keep him in the game so long. He also worked at it, studying opposition batters. "Theres really no magic explanation why Ive stayed around so long," he said. Jake Coker College Jersey . -- Lara Gut of Switzerland regained the overall World Cup lead with Sundays super-G win in Lake Louise, Alta. Trent Richardson College Jersey . But luckily for the Canadian squad, one goal was all it needed. Winnipegs Sophie Schmidt scored the winner off a Diana Matheson corner kick to seal Canadas third-place spot in the Torneio Internacional de Futebol Feminino in Brazil on Sunday.With the Vancouver Canucks officially eliminated from playoff contention on Monday night, there may be an off-ice shakeup on the horizon. TSN Hockey Insiders Pierre LeBrun, Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie all tweeted on Tuesday morning that changes for the struggling franchise could be on the way sooner than later. The Canucks have been eliminated from the postseason for the first time since 2008. Dreger and McKenzie hinted that former Canucks captain and fan favourite Trevor Linden may be part of a new regime. "Not sure exactly what will go down in Van today, but Trevor Lindens name is in the mix. Perhaps, Van using Sakic and Avs template," tweeted Dreger. "Further to @DarrenDreger, nothing official yet, but sounds like Trevor Linden expected to be new president in VAN," added McKenzie. "Hearing whispers that perhaps change is coming sooner rather than later with the Canucks, perhaps as soon as today or tomorrow..." tweeted LeBrun. "Nothing concrete as I said, but those are whispers out of Van city. Will it be the GM? or the coach? We shall see..." Linden, however, said that he has not been approached by the Canucks organization about a possible change. "I havent [spoken to the Canucks] and I think its interesting," LLinden told Global BC on Tuesday. Cheap Alabama Gear. "When teams struggle, theres lots of speculation." Linden did add that working with the Canucks once again held some appeal. "Ive always said to people, if the opportunity is right and the time was right, Id have to seriously consider it." Linden would conclude the interview by stating that an announcement on his future involvement with the Canucks was "not imminent." Down 3-0 in an eventual shutout loss to the Anaheim Ducks, the lower bowl at Rogers Arena had hundreds of empty seats throughout the game, with most the fans leaving before the final buzzer went off. The fans that did remain were chanting for Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis to be fired. Gillis seemed to criticize the style of first-year head coach John Tortorella in a interview with TEAM 1040 Radio in Vancouver last week, saying that he wanted the team to get back to the type of game that got it to the 2011 final against the Boston Bruins. Tortorella, who was hired by the Canucks last summer, has four years left on his contract with the club. "VAN situation is highly volatile, and also highly unpredictable," tweeted McKenzie on Tuesday. "A LOT of money involved in making changes. Lots of moving parts." Cheap Adidas Hockey Jerseys Wholesale College Jerseys Cheap Nike Basketball Jerseys Cheap Football Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Baseball Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Jerseys From China Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Nike NBA Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Authentic Cheap MLB Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Soccer Jerseys China Cheap NCAA Jerseys China Stitched NFL Jerseys Cheap Custom Jerseys China Cheap Basketball Jerseys Authentic NFL Jerseys China Cheap College Jerseys Wholesale Football Jerseys ' ' '